Saturday, June 27, 2009

I probably shouldn't operate heavy equipment

O.K. I just had to post this because I know there is someone out there who can relate. For some hormonal reason I am sure, my mood swings today have been nothing short of vast and varied! To give you some background, I spent the day yesterday at a "progressive memorial service" for my Mom's cousin Donna. She was more like an aunt to both my Mom and I and 12 weeks ago she was diagnosed with lung cancer. It took her quickly but peacefully. So we started at our family cemetery, which is beautiful, then headed to the Santiam golf course for a celebration of life that included over 300 people, then we ended the day back at Fritz and Donna's house where we served a meal for about 35 family and friends.During the course of the meal I got a text from a family member with some worrying health concerns, and I was already looking for updates on a family friend who had suffered a serious heart attack Thursday night. So I am already tired when I get up today to make a fruit salad and head over to the church for our women's breakfast. My mood was pretty gray until I arrived at the church and had a wonderful friend pray for me (thanks Candi), then my mood was bright and much more peaceful. Our speaker for the breakfast did such an amazing job that my mood shifted into immense gratitiude for God and His creation. Then I left the breakfast and by the time I had driven to Jo Dancer park for the last half of Emma's game my mood was irritated that I had to carry the chairs all by myself all the way to the field etc. It further chapped me that I was so hot. They won the game and that made my mood happy and proud. I got home and made lunch and sat down to watch tennis (which always makes me happy) but then I zoned out, remembered how tired I was and the concern over my family member's health and my mood quickly turned to self pity. All I wanted to do was cry and take a nap. That didn't last long though because we had to head to Kaden's last game of the season. During the game I didn't really pay attention to my mood, I was too distracted by how hot I was but also how cute those T-ballers were! So now I am home and trying to catch up on all my chores that have piled up the last few days (Jarv has kept the house up great, I just needed to organize my own stuff). As I was loading the dishwasher I was overcome with love for my family and really pride in my Mom. The last 12 weeks of Donna's life she made herself available for whatever needed to be done. She cooked, she cleaned, she sat and listened, she gave wise counsel, and she was presest for all until the very end and the first few days of Donna's absence. I want to be just like her when I grow up. So, now my mood is making me want to send her a card. It also is making me want to send all of you cards. I just love everyone! Isn't that a bizarre spectrum of emotions for one day? I am not pregnant and not yet menopausal or pre-menopausal. Tell me I am not alone. Does this happen to anyone else? I wish I could say it was the first time but it's not. Plus, I only hit the big emotions of the day, there were a hundred more subtle ones in between the big ones. Honestly, it's a good thing I am not making any major decisions today! And as the title suggests I probably shoudn't operate any heavy equipment . . . .

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am pregnant and have definitely had those days lately. But, I have also had those days while not being pregnant! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so out of the loop. I hope things are better and I want to hear all about what's going on with Bree??...

    Hang in there kiddo! (Doesn't everything sound easier when people call you kiddo?)

    I love you, even when I am too busy to be a good friend. Sorry:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. The above was from Stef. It's only letting me post anonymously tonight, I mean this am (2:20am - just finished packing)

    ReplyDelete