Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sisterly Pride


On Friday I took my kids out of school, packed their backpacks with treats and activities, gathered movies for the drive and Tom, the kids and I all headed to Tacoma to watch my brother Spencer play in his last soccer game as a Wildcat.
Spencer is my little brother, although only in age, not in height as you can see. I was 12 1/2 when Spence was born. All our lives I have walked that line between big sis and little Mom. But in both of those roles I have experienced such pride in him.
In all honesty, although I never tell him this, he is my hero. He is a gifted athlete who has always been exciting to watch on the field. More important than that however, is that he is an incredible person. He is a loyal and devoted friend. He really wants the best for those around him. He has no ego that gets in the way of thinking of others above himself. Both our parents and myself honestly sit around when he isn't there and wonder how we got so lucky. He is a rock star to my kids. He babysits for free. I could go on and on!
So, I watched him play his last game, and I have to admit that I was glad I had my sunglasses to hide my tears as the game came to a close. Not because I won't see him play again because soccer will always be a part of him and he will find a way to play, but because I am so proud of what he does and who he is.
We are a fairly emotional family. Or maybe it's just me and Mom that are emotional so it seems that way. Regardless, my pride in him probably doesn't come as a surprise to Spence, I hope he has know all along how I brag about him every chance I get. But I feel the need to tell him again as this chapter in his life closes. I am so excited to see what part soccer will play in his life next, there is no question it will always be there in one form or another.
But Spence, just in case there is a moment (no matter how small) of identity crisis for you as you move on from here I want you to remember that you are and always will be my little brother and my biggest hero! I love you bud!

4 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to Spencer and your relationship:) Brothers are really special...I get it! He's lucky to have you too Leah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice post Leah. You are truly a great sister to be so supportive. Isn't it weird to see our little brothers all grown up? I still can't believe my little brother is 21!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me tear up! So excited you have caved to the dark side and are blogging. It is frighteningly theraputic...and a wonderful way to eat up hours of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah,

    Just a little reminder that I am patiently waiting for your next post...I don't know why you haven't found the time to do one recently. HA!

    You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete